Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween. What does Shakespeare say about Halloween, does anybody know?
With today's posting of my text on Love's Labour's Lost I'll have caught up with all my texts. No more unposted ones in storage. So from now on, on Mondays when I don't post a play analysis I'll be doing short book reviews on books I've read about WS. I'm looking forward to that. But that will probably be in a couple of weeks because next week I hope to post something on A Midsummer Night's Dream (see below).
  • Shakespeare sightings –
    • Having now reached The Goblet of Fire in our Harry Potter marathon we have been to the Yule Ball for which the talented Weird Sisters provide the music. Actually in my versions of Macbeth they're called witches. But that works too in this context!
    • According to DN the production of “Marat/Sade” at the Royal Shakespeare Theater (or Theatre, I suppose I should spell it) in Stratford, is getting distinctly mixed response. It seems one either loves it (standing ovations) or hates it (walks out in the middle). What they hate is the the insanity, nudity, torture and violence. Hmmmm sounds like a Shakespeare play...
    • In the science fiction novel Extras by Scott Westerfeld Othello is quoted: “Reputation is an idle an most false imposition...”
    • Ho hum, another mention in DN of that movie, you know, the one in which Shakespeare isn't Shakespeare. Evidently in the movie he's a thief, a killer and a swindler. No wonder he didn't have time to write his plays! According to this little notice someone's going to sue, though it doesn't say whom or for what exactly. More appropriate, I think, is the second suggestion mentioned, that the director be locked up in the Tower.
    • In Agnes Gray, by Anne Brontë, Agnes tells us, “As I cannot, like Dogberry, find it in my heart to bestow all my tediousness upon the reader...” So, new contest! In which play do we find Dogsberry and in which way is he tedious? Wonderful prizes to the first one who answers correctly!
  • Finished reading aloud with Hal: A Midsummer Night's Dream.
  • Movie watched: The BBC version of the same
  • Book still being read: Cambridge Companion to Shakespeare on Film.
  • DVDs not yet received from the RSC: a Hamlet, a Macbeth a Twelfth Night (with Kenneth Branagh) and a Shakespeare Sessions.
  • Text posted on blog: Finding...a Few Things in Love's Labour's Lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment