Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday April 16 2012

This will be a quickie report because I'm in the middle of a mad scribble of my text on Henry IV Part One, hopefully to be posted next week. So here it is:

From the Shakespeare Almanac:

  • On April 9, 1413, Henry V was crowned.
  • On April 12, 1606, the Union Jack was created.
  • On April 13, 1930, Virginia Woolf wrote in her diary: “I read Shakespeare directly I have finished writing, when my mind is agape and red and hot. Then it is astonishing. I never yet knew how amazing his stretch and speed, and word coining power is, until I felt it utterly outpace and outrace my own, seeming to start equal, and then I see him draw ahead and do things I could not in my wildest tumult and utmost press of mind imagine...Why then should anyone else attempt to write? This is not writing at all. Indeed I should say that Shakespeare surpasses literature altogether, if I knew what I meant.”
  • On April 15, 1569, Shakespeare's sister Joan was baptized. She outlived William by thirty years.


Shakespeare sightings:

  • An ad in Dagens Nyheter for the Royal Theater about a play called Miranda, based on The Tempest. Might be interesting.
  • Not really a sighting but an article, also in DN, about Matilda the Musical being done by the Royal Shakespeare Society. So, is that a sighting or not? Just because the RSC is mentioned...


Further, this week:


  • Watched: The BBC version of Henry IV Part One.
  • Read aloud with Hal: Some of Harold Bloom's analysis of H4:2 but gave up because it was so silly. As usual, though some of it was interesting so I might use it, who knows?
  • Wrote: most of the rest of the rough draft of my text.
  • Posted: Just this.

No comments:

Post a Comment