Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday August 27 2012


Singapore, South Korea, Libya, Panama, South Africa, China, Latvia, the Czech Republic, the Ukraine, Turkey...I do have friends in South Korea and Latvia so possibly some of the visits are from you :-) but I know absolutely no one in these other countries. It's wonderful to have you visit the blog but I'm so curious – how did you find it? Of course I'm curious about all Shakespeare Calling visitors, from all countries. Did you Google it and if so, what were your search words? Did friends send a link and if so, how did they know about it? Please send me an email and let me know!
And if you would like to comment, but don't want it to be public, send a mail. You'll find the address under my profile and if that doesn't work it's simply rubyjandshakespearecalling at gmail dot com (I wrote it like that to avoid spam but you'll figure it out). I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

And now to the week's report:

From Gregory Doran's Shakespeare Almanac:
  • Nothing in Shakespeare's own life but on August 22, 1485, Richard III died in the battle of Bosworth Field (probably not after shouting, “My horse! My horse! My kingdom for a horse!”) and on August 26, 1346, Edward III defeated the French at Crécy. Not always recognized as part of the Shakespeare canon, it is now recognized that he did in fact collaborate in writing Edward III.

Shakespeare sightings:
  • Laurie R. King, in her second novel starring Mary Russel and Sherlock Holmes A Monstrous Regiment of Women, uses many misogynist quotes from various authors. Several of these quotes were from Shakespeare, and I must confess that I can't immediately identify them as to which play and who said it. We know that a lot of misogynist things are said in the plays but without doing some detective work of my own I need help in placing the following: A woman moved is like a fountain troubled,/Muddy, ill-seeming, thick, bereft of beauty,/ And while it is so, none so dry or thirsty/Will deign to sip or touch one drop of it. I know it, I know it, but I don't remember which play at the moment! And what about this? Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper,/ Thy head, thy sovereign; one that cares for thee,/ And for thy maintenance; commits his body/ To painful labour both by sea and land.../Whilst thou liest warm at home, secure and safe... I think I know this one but do you? And finally: [Thy husband] craves no other tribute at thy hands/ But love, fair looks, and true obedience - / Too little payment for so great a debt.../Even such a woman oweth to her husband; / And when she's froward, peevish, sullen, sour,/ And not obedient to his honest will,/ What is she but a foul contending rebel,/ And graceless traitor to her loving lord? Irritating, aren't they, these guys? But is it the same guy in the same play? Different guys, different plays?
  • As in the book, the movie The Hunger Games, finally watched yesterday, refers to Katniss and Peeta as “star crossed lovers.”


Further, since the last report:
  • Finished reading aloud with Hal: Henry V.
  • Finished reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell.
  • Started reading analyses of Henry V.
  • Started sketching on text for same.
Posted today: Just this.


2 comments:

  1. I think all the quotes are from Taming of the Shrew. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's the one. I thought it was old Petruccio and it was, confirmed after checking it out. So you get three big ones - for three quotes :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete