Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday September 3 2012

It's going to be a short report today because I'm all caught up in trying to write about Henry V. He sure is a trouble maker. Besides, it has generally been a very quiet Shakespeare week. Here's what I have to offer:

From Gregory Doran's Shakespeare Almanac:

  • On August 31, 1422, our trouble maker Henry the Fifth died. (Poor fellow, he was only 36 years old. He only had seven years to enjoy his glory after Agincourt, which is what the play is about.) 

Shakespeare sightings:

  • In the novel Island of Wings the author Karin Altenberg opens with this quote: To cry to the sea that roared to us; to sigh to the winds, whose pity, sighing back again, did us but loving wrong. Any guesses? 
  • I didn't get very far in the novel Herb and Lorna by Eric Kraft because I didn't like it enough to keep reading but on page 8 he quotes our friend: good euen good Mr what ye cal't. I will be very, very impressed if someone posts a comment with the source of this quote! 


Further, since the last report:

  • Received ( last week actually) from blog follower MS a book she used in her high school in Germany: Discover...William Shakespeare: Macbeth. Thank you, MS! 
  • Watched with Hal: Henry V, BBC version. 
  • Watched with Hal: Henry V, Olivier version. 
  • Left to watch with Hal: Henry V, Branagh version. 
  • Struggled, with some progress made, on my text on King Harry. 


Posted today: Just this.

4 comments:

  1. I don't if u need but here is some information about Macbeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olbudy,
    Thanks! It will be awhile before I get to Macbeth but it's always good to have different views.
    All the best,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. Thanks for your hard labor. I will share with my friends and relatives about this blog. I will be looking forward to more placements from you. Optimistically those will assist me well to achieve few tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I'm glad you think you'll find the blog useful. Don't forget to use proper footnotes :-) It would be fun to see any term papers you or your friends write with the help of the blog. Good luck with your studies!

      Delete